A family is currently grieving for the two lives that they have lost due to the deadly fire that happened on an early Sunday. The neighborhood was placed in havoc when all of a sudden, Fox’s residence was starting to be swallowed by a monstrous fire.
According to the reports, the 41-year-old Waniki Lushun Fox died on Tuesday afternoon at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Hospital, just two days after the firefighters saved her life because of the injuries she has acquired from the raging fire. It has been shared that upon the arrival of the firefighters, they were met by Fox’s son, who was able to evacuate but could not reach his family to save them.
Alongside Fox was her 7-year-old granddaughter, Za’Niyah Fox, who were both found unresponsive in one of the bedrooms on the main level. Similar to the 41-year-old Fox’s death, the child also died from her injuries, as released by AL.com.
A campaign has been launched through GoFundMe to help the bereft family augment the memorial and funeral services expenses.
The Associated Press took note of the Center Point Fire Chief Gene Coleman’s statement that the house fire was born out of an accident and that foul play was impossible.
During the wake, Coleman reminded the families of the importance of having smoke detectors and sleeping with bedroom doors entirely closed. Fox’s son was able to abscond from the fire after being awakened by a smoke detector close to him.
Free smoke detectors are distributed by several fire departments and the American Red Cross. A free worksheet from the Red Cross explaining how to plan a fire escape and practice home drills was also given. “Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms,” stated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Furthermore, fires in which no smoke alarms are present account for more than one-third of all residential fire deaths (38 percent). Whereas, in homes with fully functional smoke detectors, the risk of dying in a house fire is decreased by half. That said, the installation of smoke detectors is claimed to be mutually a life-saving device and a precautionary measure.
The relatives and closest friends of Waniki Lushun Fox were flooding her Facebook wall with memorial tributes. One of her friends wrote:
“My Heart Is Broken. My Friend/ Little Sister Waniki Fox Has Gained Her Wings. I Will Forever Keep You In My <3 & Treasure All The Good Times We Shared. Because You Were The Life Of Any Gathering We Attended. Asking That You Keep Her Mother, Children, Grandchildren & Her Family In Your Prayers. Rest In Paradise.”