During dinner service on Friday night, a fire began under a hood vent, forcing diners and restaurant personnel outside into the cold.
Investigators with Atlanta Incident and Rescue told Channel 2’s Michele Newell that the fire originated approximately 10 p.m. and caused enough damage to the famed restaurant’s inside that it would be shuttered for at least the rest of Saturday. The fire was so severe, firefighters said, that they had to call for a second alarm to help put it out.
Nobody was hurt in the incident since everyone inside the restaurant was able to get out promptly and safely.
When smoke began to flow into the restaurant’s “Garden Room,” Alina Stewart was inside. It didn’t take her long to know something wasn’t right, she told Newell.
We started to leave and started to smell smoke,” Stewart said. “We could see it at one point. That’s when we knew it was a problem. and then the alarm started going off.”
Stewart had to stand outside for two hours while firefighters completed their tasks. Her automobile was caught underneath a ladder on the street in front of the restaurant where she had parked it. The automobile was not damaged, and she was able to return home.